Because it’s just been that kind of week, here’s a few random things to keep it real. To be honest, I could really do with a virtual hug right now.
- I’m really missing my parents this week. Missing my family really. Not that I don’t have a family, but that we’ve never had a close relationship. I had a biopsy on Tuesday on a lump. You know, one of those, we’re sure it’s nothing but we’re just going to stick a needle in you and make sure that it’s nothing kind of lumps. Ouch. Today I was driving home from dropping DH in town after he went to the dentist, and I just started crying. Because there was no-one out there who cared, who was counting down the days with us until we got the results back, who would be waiting by the phone to hear, with relief, that it was all ok. Because it’s always in the back of your mind, that it might not be ok.
- That’s kind of what family supposed to be there for – sharing that sort of news, both good and bad. I miss them when the boys have had so many performances, and we only ever need to buy 2 tickets. No one else ever comes to hear them. I walk with envy past the other parents, waiting for Grandma, Aunts, Uncles… they buy up tables of 8 and 10. Last time we filled a table of 8, it was with former teachers – not any family. They never see any other family faces in the audience there to cheer for them than us. Sometimes after particularly brilliant performance, I could cry for them. They don’t mind so much, because they’ve never really known any different, but I know it shouldn’t be like that.
- My current least favourite medication side effect is nausea. It’s like morning sickness all over again, I have to eat small meals, and often, and small bites, slowly. It’s taken a few weeks just to get used to that, but I’m still hoping that my body settles down and it goes away.
- Miss Naomi, the bumblefooted chicken is still infected. After 4 rounds of 2 different types of antibiotics and 3 surgeries, there is still an open hole on the top of her foot that fills up with “cheese” and then weeps. It’s gross. We’re running out of ideas of ways to beat this bug, as the drugs don’t seem to be working, and all we can do is manage the symptoms, clean it out and redress it a couple of times a week. She has had a dressing on her foot pretty well non-stop since here. She woke up in a very bad way this morning, limping and very unwell. Because DH was going to the dentist, we had the extra time to do her dressing this am, but if she doesn’t perk up this afternoon with all the pressure gone and the wound clean and drained, then it’s off to the vet again tomorrow. We just can’t give up on her. Ever.
- So there you go. We’ve been insanely busy this week – just me and DH. The boys, thankfully, are vegging out on the lounge, playing Xbox, reading, and just decompressing after a full-on term of school. They got their reports yesterday, they both did really well and have earned a break! Meanwhile, I have to go scavenge some lunch, find some more coffee and fold some washing. The sun has continued to shine on this wonderful autumn we have been enjoying, and I don’t want it to end!
- At least I got one benefit out of an early morning vet nurse job, followed by a dentist appointment and a taxi job to the city – because I missed breakfast, I got to have a lovely coffee and muffin in the coffee shop in Balhannah…. first customer of the morning gets the comfy lounge chair!